I have always wanted a Huey and after recently getting into RC helicopters I thought I would have a go at building a flyable scale model.

 

So the kit arrived and was a lot smaller than I had bargained for, it is a 1/35th scale injection moulded kit

There was no way I could get the flight gear from the Honey Bee King 2 I was flying to fit in this.

So after a bit of research I found a small helicopter that would probably fit.

The Walkera 52 is fully 3D capable yet very small.

Thanks to the Guys at Heliguy.com I was able to get a non working "graveyard" heli at a great price.

So I stripped the 52 and set away. Looks like it should fit nicely.

After trying the working parts in the plastic shell I had to cut away sections to allow the flight mechanics to move freely

After a few cuts it seemed to fit rather well.

Tied it up with elastic bands to check fit, then stood it on it's original skids. I will probably use these skids

until I can fly it well enough to put on the scale skids as they are a bit fragile for my present flying style (c:

So first thing was to work out a way to mount the innards securely, so a re working of the main frame was required.

First the front frame was bent to allow repositioning of the receiver gyro etc

Then rear mount were made from the waste parts of the kit and drilled to take very small screws.

 

Step one sorted now to fix it to the body.

This was easier than I had expected.

Stripping down old laptop CD roms provides very small screws which are great for this.

It was at this point that I realised that I may have to open up the Huey for repairs etc and since I was going to paint it I didn't want to damage it trying to get into the electronics etc.

Most RC helicopters have a canopy that is fixed via glass fibre shafts with rubber grommets to secure it.

This gave me an idea and using the Walkera 52 canopy fixing point as a reference I set away.

Again using the waste parts of the plastic kit I cut drilled and filled them to suit.

So now I have the main inner frame fixed to the outer shell.

This was a great way to fit the shell as it allowed me to open it all up to get inside, so I set away making fittings where I thought I would need them most, I can always add more later if required.

By doing one side only it allowed me to use the connecting glass fibre rods to locate the perfect fitting point on the other half of the shell.

Next step to position all the electronics etc.

First the receiver gyro etc, this was built into the nose section using the kit parts, I may have enough room to build the scale seats and figures if I'm lucky.

Next was to find a spot for the battery, since I could spilt the body to get it out for charging etc. I wanted to mount it as close to the main shaft as possible to help with balancing the now heavier tail. So under the main gear it went.

 

Clearance is a bit tight and I didn't want the main gear chewing up the battery, so a very thin section of aluminium was used to make a securing strap.

 

 

Next the tail, the tale is that the wife had my camera so no shots of the "cutting the hole in the tail" bit. Also it was 2am so no dremmel )c:

Time to get the needle files out.

It fits!

Checking for balance is good, you can spot problems earlier.

So far so good.....

Next page

Back to top